Latest Video

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A success story.

There is a long story behind this car and its owner, such a story that it has been tough for me to post about it because I don't really know where to start. The few loyal folks that follow the blog probably remember seeing pictures of this cars engine bay being worked on, and crappy camera phone shots of it hiding in a garage underneath a rack as it was being prepared for the Annual Eibach meet. It all came down to the wire with many long nights in the garage as Joe, his crew and I seemed to work endlessly on the bay. A few of those nights I had given up on his car, driving home feeling like it was not going to happen, but to my surprise, two nights before the event the car was getting its final details and was ready to load up.

When we arrived at Eibach with the car on the trailer I honestly didn't know what to expect. My personal style of "builds" is much more boring and understated, so the thought of bringing the "Skank Build" (formally named by S3 Magazine) into the event had me on edge, I seriously had a knot in my stomach. I just didn't know how people would react. Joe and I both had the "HELL YEAH" look on our faces as he drove up to the gates and the only thing we could hear was "OOOOHHHHHH!!!!", "FFUUUUCCKKKKKKK", "HOLY SHIT", "DAT SHIT IS HAAAAARRRRDDDD", a few people jumped up on the trailer while it was still moving, NO JOKE! Then the rain hit. The possibility of the event being rained out, the uncovered engine bay being drizzled on brought on that same tense, edgy feeling we had while working on the car came back full-swing. Eventually the sun would peak through the clouds as if god himself was looking down on us. That is the point were the blessings seemed to begin raining down on my buddy Joe instead of the dirty California rain. He was later approached by a few photographers and had a crowd around his car at all times, so many people I would go check on him from time to time to make sure everything was okay....did I mention this was the first time Joe had ever had one of his cars inside the meet? I can't go into all the details or tell how everything ended up coming together, but by the end of the day the car was sitting on the backside of the Eibach facility being shot by the S3 Magazine crew and us driving away into the sunset, potentially ready to break down into tears like a couple of pansies.
A few months later Joe is notified that his car will be on the cover of the f'ing magazine! Crazy? Yes! Out of the box? Uumm, yes! Not what all the "heavy hitters" are into? Duuuuhhh, yes! I've heard some mean and hateful stuff said by people that I thought could think outside of the box, clearly many of them are actually in a box of their own. Congratulations Joe, you did it man and I'm glad I was able to be experience all this happening for you. I never thought I'd see somebody's dreams come true all in one day... thanks for letting me be there. So like those other blogs say "SUPPORT PRINT" by showing some love to a builder and a magazine that simply didn't give a damn.



1 comment:

  1. Congrats Joe!! Man I don't know Joe like Brandon does but hes a real cool laid back kinda guy. I know exactly how it feels to build a car to your liking and the way you want it and have people talk about it or say negative comments. A car should be built the way the owner sees it and not have to worry if its the "in thing" or if people will like it or not. Not many in the scene that are willing to think outside the box and even less that actually step out of it. Congrats Joe!! Real nice car and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete